In December 2024, we became the proud owners of the Old Parochial House in Ballynacargy. After months of planning and contract negotiations, we’re preparing to complete the move by autumn 2025 — bringing our farm to a more central and accessible location. The house itself, built around 1850, has stood empty for nearly 20 years. Despite its age, it’s a beautiful period property brimming with character, set within 14 acres of land. Alongside restoring the main house, we’ll also be breathing new life into a derelict two-storey building on the site, which we believe may have been the original Parochial House. It’s a big project — but one we’re incredibly excited about. You can follow our restoration journey right here, as well as on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
A handsome, well-detailed and proportioned mid nineteenth-century parochial house, which forms an attractive pair of buildings with the Roman Catholic church to the west (15307022). It retains its early form, character and fabric. The complex of outbuildings to the rear and the cast-iron gates to the north add to the setting and group value of this composition. Indeed, the two-storey outbuilding to the rear, closest to the parochial house, may have acted as the original parochial house (before the present structure was built) as it is marked on an 1837 map with a pathway running to the church. This building remains an important element of the architectural heritage of County Westmeath and is of particular significance in the locality for its use as an ecclesiastical residence.
- National Built Heritage Service
We will post regular updates on our YouTube Channel! Watch as we slowly breathe life back in to this magnificent place.